Malayali in London ~ Part-20

Chapter -5:

...Winter Break...


I gasp as the drink in his hands spills over my dress. “I am so sorry,” I hear him say. I look up at this boy with sandy blonde hair and an apologetic look on his face. He has a little bit of facial hair for a beard and lovely green eyes. Green, my favourite colour. I get lost in those eyes and only snap out of it when he holds out a tissue for me so I can wipe my dress. His glass must have been full, I’m soaked.

“I’ve seen you before,” he says out of the blue. I’m puzzled, “what do you mean?” I ask. He lifts his shoulders, he’s a little shorter than my brother and is about my age, perhaps even older by a year or two, “I don’t know, I’ve just seen you somewhere, you seem familiar.” I’m seriously confused.

“I think I’ve seen you at work,” he says. I brush it off, “I don’t work,” “No, as a customer.”

“Where do you work?”

“the local café, you visit there quite often, don’t you? You’re the Asian girl whose name is really hard to get right,” he said with a look of realisation on his face. As a matter of fact, I do visit the local café quite often, I really like the atmosphere there, and also the coffee. Now that I come to think of it, he does look a lot like the waiter I see there. It makes me slightly laugh that he recognised me, “well, I do go to that place quite a lot.” He laughs at my response, “So, how do you say it again?” I spent the next ten minutes trying to teach him to pronounce my name. I must say, the hardest thing about meeting a new person in London for me has been to teach them to speak my name right. This guy, named Sawyer, is really nice. After he finally gets my name right he proposes a nickname for me, “Your name is Indrakshi, right? Then what do you think of me calling you Akshi?” I laugh and tell him that it’s already my nickname. He smiles and says, “Wow, coincidence.” We talk for quite a while then I hear a familiar voice that I can pretty much easily recognise by now call out my name. I turn to see Theo. He walks up to me and Sawyer, “Good evening, Akshi,” he greets me and then turns to Sawyer, “And who are you?” Sawyer introduces himself and turns to me, “I’ve got to go, my friends must be waiting, see you at the café tomorrow?”  I’m glad that the lighting in the house is dark and red, sort of like in a club because I’m pretty sure I was blushing when I waved him goodbye.

“How do you know that guy? From college?” Theo asks me, I tell him that he works part-time in the local café I visit almost daily. Theo and I talk for the rest of the party and later I wave Twyla goodbye and walk outside the apartment building with Theo. “Are you calling an Uber or should I?” We say in unison. We laugh for five minutes before Theo calls the taxi. We get into the back seat of the taxi and Theo says, “Can I tell you something? It is very personal.” I’m a little confused, but I tell him alright anyway. “You’re my best friend so I’m trusting you with this information, promise you tell this to anyone, especially my sister.” I cross my arms, “well, I  wouldn’t be able to tell anyone if you don’t tell me first.” 

Comments