Malayali in London ~ Part-49

Chapter -14:

...Urmi's Arrival...

(Three years later.)

I’m taking care of Diego, Jennie and Theo’s son, while Jennie is in the shower. Diego is only a few weeks old and Jennie often needs help with taking care of him. That’s why I come to her house every Tuesday as my bookstore is closed to help her with stuff since it gets a little harder with Diego now. As of today, Aksh is also with me since I’m taking him to football practice in a while. Aksh is going to turn twelve in a few weeks and he is on the middle school football team. Jennie’s on maternity leave for five more months, so I’m trying to get Diego comfortable with being around me as I’ll be babysitting him once it ends. He still gets a little cranky when I’m taking care of him at times, but I have experience in taking care of kids, judging by the fact that I helped raise Aksh.

Aksh comes to me after an hour, saying that it’s time for his practice. I say goodbye to Jennie and get in the car with Aksh. I drive him to practice and then drive home. Luther will come pick him up as long as I know. Sawyer is already home by the time I come back. I close the door and turn to Sawyer. He looks so excited like he is ready to jump right now. I see an open file on the table. It’s a medical report, and I know what of, and it’s getting me excited too. I walk over and ask, “So? What does…” he picks me up and spins me around before I can finish my question,. Sawyer then throws his arms around me, pulling me into a hug. I was going to ask what the report said, but I got my answer anyway. I’m going to be a mother. I could cry.

.       .       .

        (A month later.)

        I’m sitting on the counter with a cup of coffee. I’ll get one of my employees from another store to handle this one after a few months. They’ll handle it for like a year or so, at least until I can come to work again. But I’m working for at least two to three more months. Jennie was really happy when I gave her the news that I was pregnant. She was especially happy that both our kids would be only months, at most a year, apart. I haven’t been doing any chores at home since the news came in. I told Sawyer that I could do it for a few months but he doesn’t let me.

        I get home and knock on the door. Nobody answers. I knock again and yet still nobody answers. Well, that was enough confirmation for me. I cross the street and knock on the door. This time, it is answered. Theo opens the door and smiles. I ask him if Sawyer is here and he nods. Theo lets me in and I walk into the living room. This must be a little weird for him, considering what he felt and went through during our college years, but I’m pretty sure he’s gotten used to it. He still sometimes gets down about all that had happened and I can tell that even though he loves Jennie, it is still hard for him to get over what he had for me. I completely understand that, if I were in his shoes, I would have felt the same. Sawyer lights up when he sees me and smiles. Even after years of knowing, dating and being married to him, it still sends a warmth right down my chest. I sit down on the couch, “Is Diego asleep?” Jennie nods, “Yes, that’s the only reason there’s some peace and quiet here.” She laughs at her own comment and continues, “So, have you decided what you’re going to name her?” I smile, we don’t even know if it’s a boy or a girl but Jennie is hoping for a girl. She says that she wants her son and my daughter to fall in love and get married so we can officially be family. I don’t know if her fantasies will come true or not but I have decided on a name in case it is a girl, “Well, if it is a girl, I’m going to name her ‘Urmi’” I tell her. Sawyer looks at the ceiling for a second and then at me, “I love that name! but why ‘Urmi’?” I smile and bite my lip. The reason I want to name her that is a little selfish of me, to be honest. Jennie shakes her head like she wants an answer so I give her one, “Because ‘Urmi’ means the ocean in Sanskrit, and I loved the ocean back in Kerala. I always have and always will. I wanted to name her that so I love her just like I love the ocean, with all of her goods and bads.” Jennie hums like she likes my answer. The doorbell rings and Jennie motions at Theo like she wants him to get it. As for who is on the other end of the door, I guess we’re having pizza for dinner. 

.       .       .

        (Eight months later.)

        I’m holding the bundle of joy in my hands which I earned after hours of painful labour; my daughter. Sawyer asks to hold but I refuse. He may be her father, but as of now, I give birth to her, I’m her mother and her world. Sawyer sits down next to us and stares at her. She’s gorgeous. She’s perfect. I pull her face closer to mine and kiss her forehead. Sawyer stretches his hands out to touch her. He was crying with joy when I finally let him hold her. It’s the most beautiful and heartwarming thing ever. I watch them with awe and motherly affection as Sawyer tries talking to her. “Hey there little girl! I’m your dad,” he nudges his head towards me, “and that’s your mother, the best possible woman in the world you could ever want to be your mother.” I let out a sob of joy when he said that. “And you, Urmi, are our daughter. Our little bundle of joy,” he finishes. He lays Urmi on his lap, turns and kisses me. I take her from him and lay my head on his shoulder after he pulls back. We just sit there and stare at her, content.

Comments

Anonymous said…
nice ya! keep it up!
aabir this side