The Reaper's Duty

The Grim Reaper is picturised as a grim figure and seen in a rather negative way. But has anyone ever tried to see it from the perspective of the reaper? He has a duty that he must perform and it is not easy. Read this short story to sort of see things from the reaper's perspective.
ENJOY...
The Reaper's Duty
    I am the Reaper, but you commonly know me as the Grim Reaper. But trust me, there is nothing so grim about me for you to be terrified of. I am nothing more than a humble traveller who reaps dead souls from the mortal land and takes them to a place of more remembrance. My work isn't nearly as easy as I make it sound, but rather a very tiring job. Millions of creatures, humans and animals, die every day. It is very difficult to help them all safely reach the realm of the dead, or some call it, the underworld. Many souls roam the mortal land for weeks or even years before I find them, and some of them like to hide.
    But anyway, I do my work with all the effort I have. Taking souls to where they’ll forever be remembered is my duty. The realm of the dead is where they won’t be forgotten or left behind. But death strikes hard on some souls, and they refuse to travel along the bridge. It is my job to console these souls and convince them to travel along.
    Some die with worries about the ones they left behind, they want to stay to keep a watch over them and wait until they join them. I have no choice but to let them walk the mortal realm, for who am I to stop someone from watching over their dear?
    
Some souls are left heartbroken that they didn’t get a chance to live their life to the fullest or to have a shot at their dreams. It is very painful to take them across the bridge but what choice do I have. But after I see them happy, waiting for reincarnation, my pain is healed. 
    The souls who died from suicide are the most heartbreaking to take along, knowing that they killed themselves to be free of their troubled lives. I feel sorry for them, for the chance they missed to live the life they thought was a burden. 
    But all in all, some souls are easy to take to the realm of the dead while some are hard. Some souls accept death the way it is while some refuse to accept it and mourn the life they could have lived. For I must help these dead souls get to the realm of the dead. It is a place where the living are forgotten, and the dead are forever remembered.


Your guide,
13 Chapters


Comments

Anonymous said…
Very touching
Anonymous said…
It just makes me feel sorry for the poor reaper, feared when he should have been respected.