Malayali in London ~ Part-12

Chapter -3:

… College 


After five classes, it’s finally lunch. I’m starving! I grab a burger and sit at a table in the corner. I have a book open on my lap. I’m reading it as I eat. I was just about the flip to the next page when I heard a familiar voice say, “Hey there! Nice to see you again.” I look up to see that it’s the boy I met in the playground about a month ago, Theo! I smile and close the book, “nice to see you too.” My voice must seem pretty dull because he makes a face before smiling back, “Mind if I take a seat?” I shake my head and Theo sits down. “So how was your first day so far?” I shrug, “Not bad, to be honest. I did end up being racist towards racism from a bully but otherwise, the lessons were really interesting; I personally loved linguistics and medieval literature. How did yours go?” He grins at my question, “went well, I liked the lessons, though I didn’t socialize much.”

We talk as we eat for the rest of the break. The bell rings saying that it’s time for our classes. I get up and just as I reach out for my bag, Theo asks, “Hey Indrakshi! How are you going home today?”

“I’ll be walking home.”

“Okay, me too, want to walk home together?” He lifts his shoulders as he asks that with a stupid smile on his face. I answer, “why not?”

“Nice, and you seriously need a nickname.” I slightly laugh at that, “call me Akshi, that’s what my brother calls me.” Theo grins and nods. I walk over to my next class, smiling the entire way there.

.       .       .

I’m waiting outside the exit; it’s been ten minutes since the bell rang for the end of the day and Theo hasn’t shown up yet. Just as I’m about to leave, I hear him call from behind. I turn around to see him hurrying down the stairs, huffing, “Sorry I’m late, I got lost. This place is massive!” I laugh at that, “Catch your breath first.”

The two of us then begin walking home. We talk about college, our classes, the neighbourhood we live and stuff like that on the way there. We cross a couple of houses then we reach his. Theo asks one final question before he leaves, “Did you make any friends here in Southwark?” I stay silent for a second at that, the truth is I didn’t make any friends, rather just mortal enemies. I shake my head in a no, and Theo makes that stupid smile again, “Well, you have made one; me.” I blink, completely blank, and Theo begins his awkward backup statements once more. I didn’t quite listen to them; I was busy processing what I just heard. Well, you have made one; me. I smile a few moments later, and that lets him know that he can shut up. He smiles and walks across his front yard and waves at me before entering the house. I wave back. I stand there for a solid minute, and then I clasp my hands to my chest. The wind is blowing cold, but I don’t exactly mind right now, those words left a sort of warmth in me. I look at my feet and smile. I take a glimpse of the house and begin walking towards mine; the wide smile still on my face. A friend.

Comments

Bharat / Villain said…
Hold on a min.... I can smell a romantic plot twist piling up a boy flirting then randomly announcing her his friend and then the girl thinking about it and smiling i knew it 😂😂😂 this story really is my type