Malayali in London ~ Part-15

Chapter -4:

First unit tests


I’m going through my notes on the history of language and literature when I get a text. It’s from Theo. I gave him my number yesterday on the way home.

Theo: hey! What’re you doing?

Indrakshi: Studying

Theo: is that all you do?

Indrakshi: no, I also write, read novels and watch a lot of TV. I also sometimes go to the grocery store to buy stuff my mother asks me to buy and I visit the café almost daily. But my favourite pastime is to watch TV.

Theo: and that’s it?

Indrakshi: yes, I have nothing better to do.

Theo: well, you do now, want to go out for a stroll?

Indrakshi: to where?

Theo: there’s a festival nearby. My sister wants to go there, and I don’t want to keep her company alone.

Indrakshi: you have a sister? How come I didn’t know that?

Theo: never came up. So? Are you coming?

Indrakshi: meet me outside my house in ten minutes. It’s the reddish brown one beside the home bakery. It has a large tree in the backyard that you can see from the front.

Theo: got it.

I set my books aside and got up. I grab a hoodie and a pair of jeans. I comb my hair since it looks like a hurricane just went by and put on some lip balm. It’s cold outside and my lips would get chapped otherwise. I go downstairs and William asks me if I’m going somewhere, I pause at the door, “a friend texted me asking me if I’d like to go to the festival nearby,” “is it that Twyla?” I shake my head, “no, it’s Theo. Anyway, I’m off, see you in a while.” William nods and I walk outside. I rub my hands together and blow at them. It’s dark and my breath turns to fog.

I have to wait a few minutes and then I hear a very sharp yet cheerful voice, “hey! You must be Indrakshi!” I turn to see a girl, about seventeen, who looks a lot like Theo; the same warm ivory skin, chestnut eyes and dark brown hair. Theo is walking a few feet behind her. The girl stops in front of me and lets out her hand, “hi, I’m Arienne, Theo’s younger sister. Theo has told me a lot about you, really, he talks about you a lot to be honest,” Theo interrupts her, “she didn’t need those details, Arienne, now go on, keep walking or you’ll get cold.” Arienne shrugs and walks on. Theo turns to me, “sorry about her, she’s the exact opposite of me; confident, outgoing, extroverted, the most popular girl in her school.” I smile, “I like her, she is a loudmouth but she seems nice. I’m guessing you didn’t want to be the centre of attention since she’s around.”

“Yeah, sort of. I also wanted to spend some time with you, knowing you didn’t have much to do since you don’t have many friends either.” He makes that stupid face again, and I can’t help but slightly laugh, “thanks, I really needed it, I was wasting away in that house.” The three of us walk a few blocks, Arienne ahead of me and Theo.

        We reach the festival in about fifteen minutes. It’s huge. It has all these different rides and games and shops. It is so bright with orange, yellow and red lights. A beautiful sight. Arienne seems the most excited of us all, “if you don’t mind, I also invited Caroline. My brother is already silent enough and by what I’ve heard of you, you’re also pretty quiet, no offence though. I just needed someone my type to be around.” I tell her that it’s alright and a few moments later, a girl about the same age as her came along. The two bid us goodbye, saying they’d meet us at the haunted house in two hours.

        “So? What do we do for two hours?” Theo asks. I think for a second, “just look around like we have nothing better to do, I guess. I brought some money with me, might as well go round the shops, though I’m exactly a fan of shopping but a festival must be fun.” Theo and I wandered around the festival for a while, we found this guy selling some really cool keychains and bought two. I bought a really nice hourglass and won three packs of green apple-flavoured bubblegum. We rode the Ferris wheel and played a few games. It was fun. We laughed and just wandered around a lot. 

Comments

Bharat / Villain said…
Woah!!!!!! A dateeeeee I wanna go to one tooo i wish I could go with lake but whatever it makes me remember my schools carnival those were the days