Malayali in London ~ Part-32

Chapter -7:

...Snowfall and Spring Dance...

The hospital is crowded when I get there. I have been exposed to crowds enough by now that I don’t dread them anymore. I walk up to the reception and the receptionist looks up at me and smiles, “You’re Dr Harvey’s daughter, right? Dr Dumas did say that you might visit sometime.” I nod, “You’re very easy to recognise, you look just like him, and I guess you’re here to see your father?” she asks. I smile and say, “Yes, is he performing surgery right now? If he is, I can wait or I can go.” The receptionist acknowledges what I say and checks something on the computer. She shakes her head, “Nope, Dr. Harvey is free right now. He doesn’t have a surgery until tomorrow.” She looks up from the screen, “Dr Harvey is on the fourth floor room number twenty-six, third one on the left if you take that elevator,” she points at the elevator towards our right. I thank her and walk towards it. I press the button for the fourth floor and wait as it takes me up. I’ve never come to see my father at work, much rather show up at his workplace uninformed. The elevator door opens and I move outside. I walk to the left and stop in front of the third door, just as the receptionist told me. There is a sign overhead reading ‘neurology’ and ‘Dr Harvey’ written on the door. I grab the handle, I hesitate at first but then open it. I see my dad and Dr. Dumas talking. I go unnoticed so I close the door and decide to do some mischief. I pull out my phone and dial my father’s number. I hear it ring inside and he tells Mr Dumas, I seriously need to find out what his first name is, that he needs to take it. He picks up and says, “Hey there Akshi, what’s up,” I try to stifle my laugh and say, “Hey Dad, nothing much. I was hoping that I could come to visit you at your workplace,”

“of course, how long before you’re here?”

“I don’t know, two or three seconds I guess”

“two or three seconds? How’s that possible?”

“Well, I’m standing right outside your office.”

I hear him stand up and walk through the door as soon as I end the call. My dad smiles and holds his arms out. I walk up to him and he pulls me into a hug. “How’d you know where my office is? And that I’m not performing surgery?” he asks. I giggle and reply, “I have sources.” He laughs and tells me to take a seat and sits down on his. “You should have told me you were coming, I’d have kicked this guy out,” he says nudging his head towards Mr Dumas who huffs at his comment. “It was fun to surprise you.” I turn to Mr Dumas, “And while we’re on that topic, what is your first name, Mr Dumas? I can’t believe that I’ve known you since May and I still don’t know your first name, and that’s after you and Sarah are regular visitors.” He laughs and answers, “Luther.”

I stayed for about two hours and then Dad booked me an Uber home. My mother asks me where I was when I get home and I tell her all about the little surprise I gave Dad.

The next few days fly by pretty fast. It’s Friday night and I am sitting at my desk with my journal open as I think of something to write. Jennie and I have talked a lot recently. Twyla has found a group of friends and has been quite busy with them, but I do talk to her at least once a day, even if it is just by texting. I’m still thinking about my friends when I think of something to write.

Some time or another; you will feel like you’ve lost something, but always remember what you’ve found because that matters more.

~ 11th April

I have no idea what link this has to my last thought but it’s a nice quote. I think I’ll use it in my novel, which I’m almost done with. Theo's birthday is in a few days, it’s on the thirteenth. The dance is tomorrow, on the twelfth. It’s going to be a busy weekend.

.       .       .

Jennie just called me, saying that Sawyer is driving us all to the dance and that they’ll be here any minute. The spring dance is the second biggest event of the year after graduation. Jennie insisted on matching outfits. I told her that I’ll be wearing my mother’s saree and she asked me what it looked like so she could match it. I wore my favourite of all of my mother’s sarees. It is a white one with a simple golden border with a red fall and blouse. I let my hair down tonight and tied it in a string of jasmines. 

Comments

Bharat / Villain said…
That's great .... Can u also make one sketch of akshi as well on ur instagram handle though I have imagined her I wanna see how u see her as the creator it self