Malayali in London ~ Part-43

Chapter -12:

...Letters...

My mother was really happy when I told her about Sawyer’s proposal last night. She had immediately agreed. I can tell that she is really excited about my wedding. She had often talked about it in the past and she always said that Sawyer was the perfect groom for me and that she really liked the man I was choosing to spend the rest of my life with. Dad was really happy too. In India, your daughter’s wedding is considered a very auspicious occasion and the parents who can wed their daughter are considered very lucky. The coming of the daughter-in-law in the groom’s household is considered the coming of fortune and prosperity for the family. So you can see why everyone is so excited about it. My brother wouldn’t believe me at first, but then I showed him the ring and he seemed convinced. I must say though, I love this ring. I’ll probably wear it for every single day of the rest of my life till it is so worn out that I can’t wear it anymore. We still haven’t decided on the date of the wedding, but what we have decided is that we’re going to get married in Kerala, at my Amama’s house.

        Speaking of which, I had just ended the call with my Amama when the doorbell rang. I open the door and let Sawyer in. I already knew he was coming, he had called me when he left his house. I close the door and follow Sawyer into the living room. I quickly bend the flap of my laptop down before Sawyer can see the screen. “Why won’t you let me see it?” he asks making a face with puppy-dog eyes. I slightly laugh and say, “I’m writing my next novel, I’m not letting anyone see it before it’s finished. And it is far from done.” Sawyer makes a humph sound and sits down on the couch.

The doorbell rings again and I go to answer it. It’s a postman with my mail. I thank the postman, who really is just a teenager trying to make some extra money and take my mail. I sit down on the couch next to Sawyer and go through all the letters. I have a few postcards from Twyla who is right now visiting France, some bills along, a few documents and some fan mail from my readers. There is a letter from Aksh too. Aksh sends me letters all the time and I am expected to reply to them. We’re sort of pen-pals. 

Comments