Malayali in London ~ Part-48

Chapter -13:

...Wedding...

(A month later.)

        My mornings are hectic after marriage. I wake up before Sawyer and then go down to make his lunch after having a shower. I wake him up when I set the food to cool down before packing it. I iron his shirt while he’s in the shower and go down to make breakfast and get his bag ready while he’s getting dressed. I always used to wonder why my mother did all this stuff for my father when he could do it himself but I know now. It’s really quite enjoyable. I enjoy doing this work. My mother must have enjoyed it too. After Sawyer goes off to work, I rush to get ready for work myself. I opened the store half an hour later than when I used to open it before. Like I said, my mornings are hectic.

        Well, today is no different. I close the lid of the tiffin and put it in his bag just as I hear the shower turn off. I walk into the kitchen and check to see if the pan’s hot. It is. I pour the batter on the pan wait for it to cook and then flit it. I make a few more dosas (dosa is a famous south-Indian breakfast dish) and take the chutney out from the fridge. Sawyer comes into the dining hall just as I set our plates on the table. He smiles and sits down, “I must say, never made breakfast for myself.”

        “Well, I never go to work hungry, so neither are you. Besides, I enjoy cooking.”

        We both finish breakfast and Sawyer goes off to work. His work timings are more stick than mine. I can open the store a little late and there won’t be much of a problem but as for him, he will have to state the reason why he was late and other stuff. I can close the store whenever I want but he can take a day off or leave early without prior notice.

        I close the door and walk into our room. I open the dressing table and open the drawer. I take my bangles out, just six green ones made of glass. My mother had given them to me when I moved. I put them on, three on each hand. I then pick up the tube of sindoor (the powered pigment in liquid form for easy use), also given to me by my mother, and open it. In India, married women usually do this kind of makeup, it’s no compulsion but I want to so I am doing it. I put it on the partition between my hair and closed the tube.  I do my hair and finish getting ready. I lock the door and drive to work. I’ll be busy until six-thirty in the evening.

        I knock on the door and Sawyer opens it. He hugs me once I get in and close the door. Sawyer gets home about an hour before I do. But to be fair he also leaves an hour before me. “Jennie called, she said that she called you plenty of times but you didn’t answer,” he says as we walk to the living room.

        “My phone had died, I forgot to charge it this morning. What did she say?”

        “She said that Theo’s coming tonight, he’ll be here at around seven-thirty.”

        “Really? That’s strange.”

        “Yeah, I know. He usually tells us when he’s going to visit at least a few days before he comes.”

        “Anyways, doesn’t matter. Maybe he got off work and wanted to come to Southwark.”

        “Yeah, Jennie said that we’re going to that restaurant we went to last time and Arienne was supposed to come with us but she won’t be able to make it.”

        “Why?”

        “She has an exam tomorrow; she needs to study.”

        “Oh, right. Looks like we’re going out for dinner, so that’s why you’re still dressed.”

        “Yes, I’m too lazy to undress and then get dressed again.”

        I slightly laugh and Sawyer suggests watching TV to pass the time. We watch TV for an hour before Jennie calls and tells us to start for the restaurant.

        We arrive after Jennie and Theo, who are already sitting at a table. Jennie waves at us when we catch sight of them. We sit down and Theo says, “Glad you two could make it, my sister has an exam tomorrow.” We give our order to a waiter. Jennie leans forward on the table and says, “Guys, we have two announcements and you won’t believe either of them.” I cross my arms and raise an eyebrow, indicating that I’m listening. Theo smiles, “Firstly, I’m moving back!” My eyes grow wide, “seriously?” Theo nods and looks at Jennie, “the other announcement is that since Theo’s finally moving back, we’ve decided on the day we’re getting married!” Jennie then points at me, “And I want you to be my bridesmaid.” We congratulate them and I thank Jennie for making me her bridesmaid, though I’m going to have to look into what that is. Theo puts his hand on Jennie’s and smiles. I smile looking at them. Jennie is so happy right now; she looks like she wants to jump. “So? When’s the wedding?” Sawyer asks breaking the silence. “Eleventh October,” Jennie quickly replied. We could talk about nothing other than all of the arrangements for their wedding and Theo moving back to Southwark. Theo wanted Sawyer to help him get his stuff from Birmingham to Southwark and Sawyer, of course, agreed. “Where did you buy your house?” I ask. Theo smiles and looks at Jennie, who answers me, “Well, we did all the searching and paperwork when the two of you were at work so you probably didn’t notice so surprise! It’s the one across the street from yours!” My jaw drops, “What?!” Jennie just nods. Sawyer breaks out laughing when it registers to him. This can’t be. A life this perfect? A great husband, and amazing best friends who are getting married to each other and moving across the street from us? It all seems too good to be true.

.       .       .

        I hand over the change to the last customer for the day. It was a busy Friday and I’m exhausted. I’ve been billing customers for half of the day and signing books for people for the remaining half. I close the store and drive home. Jennie and Theo are finally done moving so I can get some rest today before their wedding this Sunday. Life is perfect now. Almost perfect. I still miss the beach in Kerala. I know it’s been years since we moved but I still miss home and it’s going to take a lot to change that. I get home and knock on the door. Nobody answers it. I knock again and still, nobody answers. Just as I’m about to ring the doorbell, my phone vibrates. It’s a text from Jennie saying that everyone’s at her house. I roll my eyes and cross the street. I raise my hand to knock and Jennie opens the door before I can. She smiles and lets me in. We have some small talk as we walk into the dining room. I take the seat next to Sawyer and across from Theo. Jennie brings me a glass of water and sits down next to me. “You look exhausted,” Theo says as I down the water. “I look exhausted because I am exhausted, idiot,” I reply. And yes, I’m still struggling with playing it nice. Jennie laughs, “I hope you’ll be energised for this Sunday.”

        “I will be if I get some rest, I didn’t get even a minute off of work today.”

        “Well, you’re having dinner at our house today.”

        I point my finger at her, “You’re cooking?”

       Jennie shakes her head, “Of course not, we ordered pizza, and it should be here any minute.” Then the doorbell rings. Jennie goes to answer it, muttering, “Speaking of the devil.”

.       .       .

Jennie just walked down the aisle and Theo is saying his vows. I’m watching them, wondering that it never seemed like everything that was written in the letter I got from Theo was even true. It doesn’t seem like it today either. It seems like these two were made for each other, to be by each other’s side from the very beginning. The service is finished and the bride and groom kiss. I’m really happy for the two. They are meant to be.

Comments