Malayali in London ~ Part-50

Chapter -15:

...Smooth Sailors...

(Seventeen years later.)

        “Maa! Crookshanks is at it again,” I hear Urmi yell from the backyard. I roll my eyes and dry my hands with a towel as I just did the dishes. It’s Tuesday and my bookstore is closed. That means Diego and Urmi will be at our house for most of the day. Jennie’s fantasies from before Urmi was born are sort of becoming a reality, to be honest. I can tell that Diego likes her, but Urmi is a little too indifferent towards him, but that doesn’t stop him from trying. Urmi is a lot like me when it comes to her personality, she gets her indifference, disrespectfulness and stubbornness all from me. She is a very bold and witty child, not afraid to speak her mind no matter what she comes to think. She’s the kind of person who doesn’t hold anything in and speaks every thought she comes to think out loud. She is also kind and sympathetic at times but in the most pathetic way possible. She is a lot like Sawyer in many ways too. She is driven and passionate like her father. She looks a lot like a blend of me and Sawyer, too. She is also outgoing like him, unlike me who is quite reserved. She has Sawyer’s sandy blond hair and green eyes, but her every other feature is like mine.

        I walk onto the patio to see Crookshanks making a mess of the place. Crookshanks is the cat Sawyer had bought for Urmi on her fifteenth birthday. Urmi is a huge fan of ‘Harry Potter’ and wanted to name him Crookshanks. But the cat is a strange one, to be honest. One taste of sugar and it starts causing havoc. I grab Crookshanks by the tail and he tries breaking free by running in the air but her isn’t able to and gives up. He is still fighting against my grip as I walk him into the store room, which is mostly empty, and lock him in. I’ll let him out in an hour once the sugar has worn off. I walk into the living room to find Diego and Urmi arguing as usual. They immediately stop and face me once I enter the room. I cross my arms across my chest, “Who fed Crookshanks sugar?” the two of them spontaneously point at each other in perfect sync. I know I should be mad but I can’t help but find their behaviour amusing. Mainly because I’ve done every bit of mischief that they’re doing. I let it go and just as I turn around, the doorbell rings. Urmi rushes to open the door. She smiles to see Aksh, dressed in his jersey, at the door. Aksh is years older than Urmi, she’s seventeen and he’s thirty, but the two get along like they’re twins. I see my brother behind Aksh, smiling at me. Aksh steps aside to let William in. “Hey Akshi, I was just taking Aksh to his game and thought I’d stop by,” he says, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. I smile and invite them into the living room. Aksh is a clinical psychologist by profession, like his mother, but plays on the local football team when he likes to. Urmi goes to the kitchen to grab some water for Aksh and William. Aksh sits down beside Diego to my right. I can hear them talking. Aksh is giving Diego some tips to impress Urmi. I shrug off the fact that he’s trying to impress my daughter but all I can say is that he’s asking for advice from the least romantic person on earth. I don’t even know how Aksh is married today. He married his girlfriend, I still don’t know how she agreed to date him, whom he had dated for six years. “So? How’s life going?” William asks after he thanks Urmi for the water. I smile, my brother has always been concerned about me ever since I got married. It was a significant change in the way he treated me, I never even thought that there might be concern in that person who spent all of my childhood fighting with. “It’s great, great best friends, a perfect husband who is clearly more romantic than you and a wonderful child. I must say, Aksh seriously gets his awkwardness in the dating sphere from you.” I speak. “Hey, I dated the girl of my dreams for six years, Appachi, you can’t say I’m not good in the dating sphere,” Aksh says in defence. I brush it off and William asks Urmi if she wants to come for the game. Urmi squeals an excited “yes” at hearing that. Urmi loves watching Aksh play, it’s her favourite thing about Aksh. I can tell that Diego feels a little excluded. 

Comments